Eat Drink Style The Comfort Zone Part I



This morning I woke up to the sound of my alarm on full blast. It was some 50 cent song that immediately got me aggravated and prompted me to bring the gavel down on it, like Gallagher on a watermelon. As I shut my eyes again, another sound was audible -- the satisfying sound of rain patting the ground and at the same time, giving my car a well-needed wash.

If I was still in elementary school, I knew a good day would be ahead of me. Almost all play, and NO school work. Indoor recess. Pure bliss. Fast-forward another 15 years, and like most of us, we have to deal with the drudgery of work. It’s rainy days that make me miss all the comfort food we had in our younger days. My favorite was the generic 3-for-a-dollar Mac n’ Cheese. How can one forget the rock hard elbow pasta that can dent walls with a single toss, artificial/instant cheese that probably could’ve gotten you high, and the smell of freshly grounded CARDBOARD. Mmmm. No, this isn’t Velveeta – it’s too cheap to be Kraft or Velveeta. Only the privileged got that brand, but I still love my parents regardless.

As soon as I got off work, I headed down to the market with Mac n’ Cheese on my mind. I know a lot of people love it Southern style – baked in the oven with a field of bread crumbs over it. Not me. I love it cheesy and creamy. This is my first time making it. Please let me know if you have any ideas for improving this comfort food. I first melted some butter and added flour to make a roux. I then added some whole milk and let it boil. I added a block of mild cheddar cheese and a few slices of provolone (thanks to Gary!). Salt and pepper to taste. Add a few scoops of cheese on the macaroni and mix it up. Garnish with parsley, pepper and a little hot sauce. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment